Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date: 2009-01-23 20:55:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

--On 23. Januar 2009 13:28:27 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> In short, I don't feel that this was ready to be applied. It's probably
> fixable with a week or so's work, but do we want to be expending that
> kind of effort on it at this stage of the release cycle?

Uh well, i'd be happier if such review comments would have been made
earlier in the CommitFest.

If i understand you correctly we have the choice between

a) revert this patch, fix all remaining issues which will likely postpone
this for 8.5
b) don't revert, but try to fix the issues currently existing in HEAD.

It seems you're unsure wether b) is an option at all, because the amount of
remaining work exceeds the time left for this release cycle?

To be honest: I'm disappointed. If it tooks only a few steps to identify
those (obviously important) issues, i get the opinion that there's very few
motivating interest in this functionality (And yes, i'm annoyed about
myself to not consider those operator issues).

Bernd