Deleting records with text fields

From: Kovács Péter <peter(dot)kovacs(at)sysdata(dot)siemens(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Deleting records with text fields
Date: 2001-11-07 07:56:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I read in this new group a short thread about deleting large objects through
jdbc. From this thread I learned that if I delete a record with a large
object field in it (I am using here a simplified formulation), the large
object will not be deleted automatically with the record, but has to be
deleted in a seperate operation.

Instinctively, I would think that this kind of design was applied to the
"text" type, since it also can accomodate data of practically (from my
perspective) unlimited size. So should I do some extra work, when I want to
get rid of a record containing a text field, or will deleting only the
record also delete the text object represented by the text field in the
record? Is the design for the "text" type different from large objects?

Thank you

Peter