Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?
Date: 2011-06-08 18:07:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 07/06/2011, at 22:38, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> What does the query tool tell you when you execute your query? nothing
> like "Do you want to attempt to reconnect to the database?"?

I run the query, and I get this:

before or while processing the request.

When I try to run it again, I get

no connection to the server

>> - So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
>> - I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit window again, PgAdmin crashes.
>>
>> So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.
>>

> Dont know what happens but it shouldn't crash.
>
> You should probably describe your issue with more details.

What details were missing from my description? I gave a step-by-step description of what I did.

>> By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups in the table window should be saved somewhere - at least for the last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start adjusting the columns over again every time the above scenario happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was possible, this would be a moot point.
>>

> As already said, only the query tool (not the edit tool) has this
> feature.

Is there a reason why to support it only in the query tool? I think all tools should have the ability to recover from server disconnections, especially since they require fine tuning again and again.

Herouth