Re: Full Text Search examples patch

From: "Erik" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full Text Search examples patch
Date: 2008-01-16 02:06:37
Lists: pgsql-docs
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> apod
>> >
>> > Huh?  These are just examples, they are not supposed
>> > refer to any
>> > specific real table, much less one that comes standard
>> > with Postgres.
>>
>> I understand that, of course.  I am suggesting it might
>> be
>> an improvement to offer the data to go with the
>> examples.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't it be easier to provide the pgweb table?

Maybe - I don't know what that pgweb data would be.

There are really two issues:

  1. Apply changes I suggested (and attached earlier) to
the documentation text to make code examples use a
single table instead of two different ones.  I chose
apod because I knew apod from tsearch2.  In the patch
there are also some confusing inconsistencies removed,
for instance column  'textsearch_indexable_col' is in a
later code example used as column 'textsearch'.

  2. Whether or not to include some actual table data (be
it apod or pgweb). This is less important as far as I am
concerned.

 The first is more useful and easier to apply than the
second.

> Alvaro Herrera
> http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development,
> 24x7 support

> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project by
> donating at
>
>                 http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

regards,

Erik Rijkers