Re: Full Text Search examples patch

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Erik <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full Text Search examples patch
Date: 2008-03-26 14:10:27
Lists: pgsql-docs

Erik wrote:
> > Hmm, wouldn't it be easier to provide the pgweb table?
>
> Maybe - I don't know what that pgweb data would be.
>
> There are really two issues:
>
> 1. Apply changes I suggested (and attached earlier) to
> the documentation text to make code examples use a
> single table instead of two different ones. I chose
> apod because I knew apod from tsearch2. In the patch
> there are also some confusing inconsistencies removed,
> for instance column 'textsearch_indexable_col' is in a
> later code example used as column 'textsearch'.
>
> 2. Whether or not to include some actual table data (be
> it apod or pgweb). This is less important as far as I am
> concerned.
>
> The first is more useful and easier to apply than the
> second.

Agreed. The data file you sent was 1.5MB of data uncompressed. That
isn't going in the docs.

I looked at adding just the schema you had:

CREATE TABLE apod (
title text,
body text,
sdate date,
keywords text,
id integer
);

but later saw that there were 'apod' references later in the docs that
mentioned columns that weren't in the CREATE TABLE, e.g., 'vector':

SELECT * FROM ts_stat('SELECT vector FROM apod')
ORDER BY nentry DESC, ndoc DESC, word
LIMIT 10;

Please send a patch that adds the CREATE TABLE in a consistent manner
and we will consider just that addition. Here is where I suggest you
add the CREATE TABLE in the patch:

<programlisting>
CREATE TABLE apod (
title text,
body text,
sdate date,
keywords text,
id integer);

-- insert some data

SELECT title, ts_rank_cd(textsearch, query) AS rank
FROM apod, to_tsquery('neutrino|(dark &amp; matter)') query
WHERE query @@ textsearch
ORDER BY rank DESC LIMIT 10;

I am fine with you updating the later examples to be more consistent
too.