Re: old synchronized scan patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Eng" <eng(at)intranet(dot)greenplum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: old synchronized scan patch
Date: 2006-12-05 18:25:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> Sure, it should hang around for awhile, and will. The problem is that
>> its lifetime will be artificially inflated, so that the seqscan ends up
>> kicking out other blocks that are really of greater importance, rather
>> than recycling its own old blocks as it should.

> I thought you had switched this all to a clock sweep algorithm.

Yeah ... it's a clock sweep with counter. A buffer's counter is
incremented by each access and decremented when the sweep passes over
it. So multiple accesses allow the buffer to survive longer. For a
large seqscan you really would rather the counter stayed at zero,
because you want the buffers to be recycled when the sweep comes back
the first time.