moderninzing/upgrading mail list format

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: moderninzing/upgrading mail list format
Date: 2010-07-05 21:43:58
Lists: pgsql-general

I belong to MANY email listservers, probably like all of us.

All of them, I am on digest.

The CONTENT from all of you contributors is superior, more mature, and more directly helpful than all the other lists. I think it has something to do with the conservative, structured mind set of us Dbase programmers. (Or at least when we discuss database issues ;-)

However, I think that the mailing list world has moved beyond what we use, at least for those of us who receive digest mode. The google groups group all the same topics in one block, and uses intra-document html links to get to those blocks.

By using the 'subjects contents' table at the top of the digest email, and the back button, it is VERY easy to investigate only the subjects one is intersted in, without having to scan through the whole digest. There are other, better-than-pgsql-mail-program convenience attributes of the google groups email system.

I would like to open a conversation about either changing our email to be more like google groups, or a move to google groups.

PS, we(Postgresql databsase) don't(doesn't) have any mention on lots of SQL/Database tutorials. Everything is mysql this, mysql that. I just offered to write examples for Postgresql to w3schools SQL section. I'd like to encourage others to look for opportunities to do that, especially for the programming language frameworks. I am always promomting P-sql to the coders of Symfony and referring little issues withi postgres to them.

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.