Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution
Date: 2009-10-19 18:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Maybe invent a new language handler? plpgsql2 or shorten to pgsql?
> Now you can mess around all you want (and maybe fix some other
> compatibility warts at the same time).

Well, pl/psm is out there, and might even make it into core someday.
I don't find a lot of attraction in inventing a new language type that's
only marginally different from plpgsql --- that approach doesn't scale
up to handling multiple compatibility issues, at least not unless you
fix them all at the same time.