Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: timeless postgres <pvspam-postgres(at)hacklab(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN
Date: 2003-05-12 14:32:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

timeless postgres <pvspam-postgres(at)hacklab(dot)net> writes:
> 1. Replication -- Supposedly Postgres-R was to be merged into 7.2?
> Did this happen? Is the pgsql.com offering still the only game
> in town? (pgsql.com was down at the time I wrote this)

Postgres-R hasn't been merged, and I see no prospect that it will appear
in 7.4 either. Possibly 7.5. In the meantime, third-party solutions
are still your only option, and PostgreSQL Inc's one is probably the
best.

> 2. Read/write backups -- Supposedly MySQL locks tables into read-only
> mode while backing them up?

You'd have to ask them. Ours doesn't though.

> 3. Non-logged bulk inserts -- How much logging does COPY table FROM
> do? Is it comparable to a MySQL MyISAM table?

I cannot imagine why you'd want non-logged inserts, unless you don't
actually care about your data. It should be noted though that as of
7.3, operations on TEMP tables don't do WAL logging; perhaps that
would be of use to you.

> 4. Point-in-time recovery -- Was this supposed to go into CVS sometime
> this month?

It might be there in 7.4 ... it ain't there today ...