Re: from_collapse_limit vs. geqo_threshold

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: from_collapse_limit vs. geqo_threshold
Date: 2009-05-21 11:50:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert,
>> It appears that this statement has been in our documentation since Tom
>> Lane added FROM_COLLAPSE_LIMIT (back then, it was capitalized) on
>> January 25, 2003 (9bf97ff426de9), but I can't find any justification
>> for it anywhere. I think we either need to justify this advice, or
>> remove it.

> ... trying to remember why I wrote that ... what would happen if
> FROM_COLLAPSE_LIMIT was *more* than GEQO_THRESHOLD?

I think I wrote it, not you. The point of the advice is to keep
subquery collapsation (hm, what's the right noun form? Need caffeine)
from turning a non-GEQO query into a GEQO one, and thus subjecting
you to unpredictable plans. Maybe the resulting plans would be better
on average, or maybe they wouldn't, but in any case they'd be
unpredictable.