Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler
Date: 2003-07-22 18:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But the snapshots only are grabbing the xids from each proc, right?
> Doesn't seem that would take very long.

Yeah, we've never seen any previous indication that grabbing a snapshot
is a bottleneck. Also, I think it uses a shared (read) lock, so there
shouldn't really be contention, unless perhaps they are starting and
stopping backends very frequently as well.

> If this is the bottleneck, maybe we need a shared proc lock.

We need to understand what's happening before speculating about how to
fix it ...