Re: How to restore from pg_dumpall output

From: Laura Conrad <lconrad(at)laymusic(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to restore from pg_dumpall output
Date: 2003-02-14 14:04:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom> Laura Conrad <lconrad(at)laymusic(dot)org> writes:
>> pg_dumpall -p 8050 >/tmp/db.sql
>> I then tried to restore (again as the postgres user), as documented in
>> the pg_dumpall man page:
>> psql -f /tmp/db.sql template1
>> It does a few things, and then says:
>> psql:/tmp/db.sql:16: \connect: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication
>> failed for user "bostonre"

Tom> I believe this will work better if you use "-X
Tom> use-set-session-authorization" to pg_dump (which should be
Tom> the default, but isn't yet).

I tried that, but I still get the same error out of psql, although the
pg_dumpall output now says:

SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bostonre;

instead of:

\connect - bostonre

Tom> Without that, you need an authorization configuration that
Tom> will let you connect as someone else --- which IDENT won't,
Tom> superuser or no. (You could set up an ident map to let that
Tom> happen, but it'd be tedious if you have lots of users to keep
Tom> track of.)

There are only 2. So I tried doing that, but my first guess on how didn't
work.

But to make that guess, I had to look at pg_hba.conf and it had lots
of useful stuff in it. I decided it wasn't going to kill me to just
trust everyone on my local machine for 5 minutes, so I did that. Not
the kosher thing for a real database administrator to do, but this is
my home machine, and the dog doesn't know how to log on.

So I have my database back -- thanks for the help.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad(at)laymusic(dot)org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (801) 365-6574