Re: Reduce pinning in btree indexes

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com, hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce pinning in btree indexes
Date: 2015-02-27 07:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> You might want to try running the same test, but after patching
>> ExecSupportsMarkRestore to return false for index scans. This will
>> cause the planner to insert a Materialize node to handle the
>> mark/restore.

Kyotaro> Mmm? The patch bt-nopin-v1.patch seems not contain the change
Kyotaro> for ExecSupportMarkRestore and the very simple function remain
Kyotaro> looking to return true for T_Index(Only)Scan after the patch
Kyotaro> applied.

Right. I'm suggesting you change that, in order to determine what
performance cost, if any, would result from abandoning the idea of doing
mark/restore entirely.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)