Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cutting the Gborg throat
Date: 2006-08-28 04:14:50
Lists: pgsql-general

In the last exciting episode, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>
>>> I have been looking at the migration of Gborg lately. It looks like the
>>> only two active projects on that site are Slony, and pljava. Libpqxx has
>>> recently moved to their own Trac site.
>> There are definitely more than that.
>
> ? like? I am not saying you are wrong, but I didn't see much.
>

>>> 1. We set a read only date of 12/31/06
>>> 2. We set a shut down date of 03/31/07
>> I don't have a problem per se with shutting down gborg, but there
>> are some
>> questions to answer/problems to resolve first:
>> 1) Have the project maintainers been sent an email yet? (as promised
>> multiple times)?
>
> Well that is kind of the point of this whole thread. To solidify this
> now and get it done (including communication with maintainers)

Consider the Slony-I group "informed." :-)

We're close to release of version 1.2; moving to pgFoundry is high on
the ToDo list after that, which is pretty compatible with a December
31st close date.

>> 3) Is there a migration guide or documentation somewhere?
>
> I think you missed my point. There is no migration, except the
> important of the mbox files and moving of the cvs repo. All tickets
> etc... are the responsibility of the project.

Right. The ticketing system on pgFoundry is sufficiently more
sophisticated that it seems to me to make more sense to manually deal
with them...

>> 5) Is subversion available? This is not a must, but a strong "nice to have"
>> and having it would be a good indication that a) someone is actively working
>> on the site, and b) someone is willing to help pgfoundry move forward
>> in the future.
>
> This is actually part of a thread I started on Gforge-admins. It will
> be available, it just isn't yet.

We had been putting things off based on that not yet being available,
but that seemed to be a mistake. It would be nice to have Subversion,
but I'm disinclined to hold my breath...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html