Re: Bottom Posting

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andy Anderson" <aanderson(at)amherst(dot)edu>, "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bottom Posting
Date: 2008-05-28 18:30:06
Lists: pgsql-general

> Bottom line: have some respect for your readers.  Make it easy to
> distinguish what you wrote from the preceding material, and remember
> that the only reason you are quoting anything at all is to provide some
> context for what you are saying.  We don't need to re-read the entire
> darn thread.

I don't think the people who top-post or quote the entire message are doing it
out of disrespect. They just have never been exposed to the traditional style.

The main reason I posted this was to demonstrate that there's really no reason
to quote the original message. My response was only to this one point and not
the longer previous point. I actually think this is a more important point to
get across than simply "don't top post" which just seems to generate lots of
"bottom posts" that are just as bad.

  Gregory Stark