Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Yoshiyuki Asaba <y-asaba(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch
Date: 2008-09-08 20:13:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Mutual Recursion:
>
> with recursive
> foo(i) as (values(1) union all select i+1 from bar where i < 10),
> bar(i) as (values(1) union all select i+1 from foo where i < 10)
> select * from foo;
> ERROR: mutual recursive call is not supported
>
> The standard allows mutual recursion.

This seems to be a point of confusion. I originally read the standard and
concluded that mutual recursion was an optional feature. Itagaki-san showed me
a copy of the spec where it seemed there was a clear blanket prohibition on
mutually recursive queries and in fact anything but simple linearly expandable
queries. I wonder if there are different versions of the spec floating around
on this point.

Take a second look at your spec and read on to where it defines "linear" and
"expandable". If it doesn't define those terms then it's definitely different
from what I read. If it does, read on to see what it does with them. The main
reason to define them appeared to be to use them to say that supporting mutual
recursion is not required.

--
Gregory Stark