Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-26 20:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> HS is working very well (Simon's ongoing work aside). I am pretty
> confident based on my personal testing that it would represent the
> project well if committed today.

I think a lot of people weren't aware there was anybody testing this patch
other than Simon and Heikki -- I wasn't until just today. I wonder how many
more people are trying it out?

This is one of the changes for the better from the past. Though I still think
a lot more would try it out once it's committed.

Here's a thought experiment. If it was committable *today* would we be willing
to go with it and plan to release with it? Assume that it would *still* mean a
longer beta process, so it would still mean releasing in, say April instead of
February or March.

While personally I want us to switch to a mode where we commit large patches
early in the development cycle I don't believe we would refuse to commit it
today if it was ready. And I can't imagine two weeks would make the
difference either.

--
Gregory Stark