Re: Best filesystem

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best filesystem
Date: 2006-02-15 12:55:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com (Arnau) wrote:
> Which is the best filesystem in linux for postgresql? nowadays I'm
> using ext3, I don't know if other filesystems like XFS, reiser... would
> be better from the performance point of view.

Do you care more about performance? Or reliability?

I think I'd rather see things 3% slower than they could perhaps be if
that diminishes the risk of suddenly losing a filesystem...

The last time I did a benchmark, I found JFS *slightly* faster than
XFS, and XFS slightly faster than ext3. But then lost several JFS
filesystems to weird interactions between JFS and disk controller.

That was about 2 years ago; there have been new releases of both
filesystems, SCSI device drivers, as well as major kernel revisions.
It's not evident how much things have really changed.

At any rate, I would NOT put filesystem performance at the top of the
list; ability of vendors to provide support is something I would put
much higher. That factor alone usually rules out both JFS and XFS...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html