Re: CVS HEAD compile failure

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD compile failure
Date: 2003-12-08 16:55:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> int CRYPTO_set_locked_mem_functions(void *(*m)(size_t), void (*free_func)(void *));
>
> If there's a missing typedef shouldn't we see something like this:
>
> `size_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> (assuming he is using gcc)?

Try it.

typedefs are weird in the C language, they change the syntactical value of the
identifier. The parser actually has to know whether an identifier is a typedef
or not in order to figure out how to parse the code.

Syntax errors in known good code, especially header files are a typical
symptom of missing typedefs. A good thing to know to recognize right away or
else you'll spend lots of time puzzling over seemingly good code.

--
greg