Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits
Date: 2002-11-20 17:54:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com> writes:
> Basically I came this morning to find a developer had a bug in a program
> and used up all the connections. Could I have safely killed those
> connections?

kill(1) the backends in question.

> In all the archives I read there seems to be a negative view on timeouts.
> I think that after 4 hours of no activity, at least in my case, I
> definitely want those connections dead.

The superuser_reserved_connections feature we added for 7.3 should be
sufficient for this -- if the maintenance tasks are done as the
PostgreSQL superuser, there will be some reserved "slots" for them to
connect to.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC