Re: PostgreSQL slow after VACUUM

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL slow after VACUUM
Date: 2004-11-26 10:47:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)vulcanus(dot)its(dot)tudelft(dot)nl> writes:

> My suggestion is to VACUUM (FULL) the table after you've deleted the data.
> Then fill up the table and do a ANALYZE when you're done filling it.

For now you might be able to improve matters by doing an ANALYZE even while
it's busy doing the import. Depending on how the import is coded it may or may
not have an immediate effect.

VACUUM and ANALYZE (and VACUUM ANALYZE) are fairly quick and don't block
access to the tables, though they can slow it down somewhat. You probably want
to be running them frequently so you don't have to resort to VACUUM FULL.

--
greg