Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date: 2006-12-12 03:27:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

After a long battle with technology, mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us (Michael Stone), an earthling, wrote:
> [1] I will say that I have never seen a realistic benchmark of
> general code where the compiler flags made a statistically
> significant difference in the runtime.

When we were initially trying out PostgreSQL on AIX, I did some
(limited, admittedly) comparisons between behaviour when compiled
using GCC 3.something, VisualAge C, and VisualAge C++. I did some
modifications of -O values; I didn't find differences amounting to
more than a percent or two between any of the combinations.

If there's to be a difference, anywhere, it ought to have figured
pretty prominently between a pretty elderly GCC version and IBM's top
of the line PowerPC compiler.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html