Re: profiling connection overhead

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: profiling connection overhead
Date: 2010-11-29 10:04:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Well, the lack of extensible XLOG support is definitely a big handicap
>> to building a *production* index AM as an add-on.  But it's not such a
>> handicap for development.
>
> Realistically, it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would go to the
> trouble of building it as a loadable module first and then converting
> it to part of core later on. That'd hardly be less work.

Well, it depends a lot on external factors. Like for example willing to
use the code before to spend the necessary QA time that is needed for it
to land in core. Two particular examples come to mind, which are tsearch
and KNN GiST. The main problem with integrating into core, AFAIUI, are
related to code maitenance, not at all with code stability and quality
of the addon itself.

It's just so much easier to develop an external module…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine