Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config
Date: 2015-04-01 06:25:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael> For an extension that has a single branch compatible with a
Michael> set of multiple major versions of Postgres, the cases are
Michael> custom values for REGRESS_OPTS and REGRESS depending on the
Michael> backend version. I also manipulate on a daily basis the same
Michael> set of scripts across many platforms (on Windows as well using
Michael> msysgit, and MSVC installation does not have pgxs stuff), so I
Michael> would use it to simplify them. It is true that you can already
Michael> do that by parsing the output of "pg_config --version",

What _exactly_ would you be doing that you could not already do better
with $(MAJORVERSION) which is already defined in Makefile.global?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)