Re: the build

From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier(at)tapsellferrier(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the build
Date: 2003-04-15 17:03:18
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-patches

Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com> writes:

> Nic,
>
> Unfortunately I am not well versed in either ant or autoconf configury.
> I personally build the different versions by changing the JAVA_HOME
> environment variable to point to the jdk I wish to use for building.
> Ant then picks it up and does the 'right' thing. I personally haven't
> tried building with gcj yet and I don't know if ant has support for gcj.
>
> In general I would say that the driver has moved away from autoconf/make
> and towards ant as the build mechanism. The role make now plays is
> essentially just the wrapper around ant that ties into the overall
> postgres build mechanism.

Ok, first I should say, I'm a sometime GCJ hacker. I'm not heavily
involved with it, but I am heavily involved with GNU and so I use it a
lot.

So I have an interest here.

The next thing is: GCJ doesn't have a concept of JAVA_HOME. I don't
think jikes or kaffe or kopi has any such concept either.

So that means that JAVAC detection should be either via a normal
autoconf tool or something simpler, like the attached patch.

But that doesn't solve the issue of version selection. I think this
is a fundamental build issue: how do you choose which version of the
driver to build?

As I say, my view is that we should test the target java's version,
and not the version that is being used to run ant.

Would you (or anyone else) have any objection in principle to that?

Nic

Attachment Content-Type Size
jdbc-build-patch text/patch 1.1 KB