Re: Ways to check the status of a long-running transaction

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ways to check the status of a long-running transaction
Date: 2005-01-20 04:57:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:

> I recall this being discussed before, but I couldn't manage to find it
> in the archives.
>
> Is there any way to see how many rows a running transaction has written?
> vacuum analyze verbose only reports visible rows.

Not AFAIK. In the past I've done ls -l and then divided by the average row
size. But that required some guesswork and depended on the fact that I was
building the table from scratch.

I think there's a tool to dump the raw table data which might be handy if you
know the table didn't have a lot of dead tuples in it.

It would be *really* handy to have a working dirty read isolation level that
allowed other sessions to read uncommitted data.

--
greg