Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Date: 2004-06-11 04:18:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com> writes:

> Would it make more sense to specify at the time the optional subtransaction
> is committed that it is not critical to the completion of the outer
> transaction?
>
> BEGIN;
> BEGIN;
> DROP TABLE foo;
> COMMIT NON_CRITICAL;
> CREATE TABLE foo (i int);
> COMMIT;

I assumed that was what was being proposed. It doesn't make sense to have a
single flag on the entire outer transaction since there could have been
multiple inner transactions, not all of which are unimportant.

Hm, perhaps a parallel to "CREATE OR REPLACE" would be "COMMIT OR ROLLBACK".
I'm not sure if I'm serious about that or joking though.

--
greg