Re: Locale implementation questions

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale implementation questions
Date: 2005-09-04 19:02:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:

> To be honest, I don't understand why we have to rely on (often broken)
> system locales. I don't think building our own locale data is too
> hard, and once we make up it, the maintenace cost will be very small
> since it should not be changed regularly. Moreover we could enjoy the
> benefit that PostgreSQL handles collations in a corret manner on any
> platform which PostgreSQL supports.

I think it's sheer madness to try to reproduce large swaths of the OS inside
Postgres because you're unhappy with the quality of the OS implementation. You
should be asking yourself why OS vendors have such a hard time getting this
stuff right and why would Postgres do any better. Wouldn't that work be better
spent improving the database functionality of Postgres?

Or at least better spent improving the locale support for the entire OS? It
would be positively awful if every application on my system had its own locale
database each of which had its own set of bugs and its own feature set.

--
greg