Re: Database versus filesystem for storing images

From: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <pg-job(at)esilo(dot)com>, Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, John McCawley <nospam(at)hardgeus(dot)com>, Clodoaldo <clodoaldo(dot)pinto(dot)neto(at)gmail(dot)com>, imageguy <imageguy1206(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database versus filesystem for storing images
Date: 2007-01-06 00:02:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is> writes:

> for that matter, what happens if one transaction is using or
> even reading an image while another is updating it?

I believe that this also depends on how the file is updated. Some
applications create a temporary file with the new (or changed) content and
then replace the old file with this one.

There are also cases where you can keep a file descriptor open to one file
that has no name (it existed once) and that was replaced.

It all depends on how / who's generating and how / who's consuming the
information.

--
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>