Re: BUG #4465: GROUP BY is not to SQL standard

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tony Marston" <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4465: GROUP BY is not to SQL standard
Date: 2008-10-15 01:56:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Tony Marston" <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:

> I think your definition of "Feature T301 Functional Dependencies" is
> extremely questionable. ... If you support both key and non-key columns on a
> table then you support functional dependencies whether you like it or not.

An ISO/IEC 9075 conformant implementation must list in its documentation which
optional features it claims to support. Postgres does so at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/features.html

In particular note that T301 is listed partway down this list:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/unsupported-features-sql-standard.html

> As soon as I point out an SQL standard that you DON'T follow I get a barrage
> of weasel words and pathetic excuses.

Well then.

--
Gregory Stark