Re: BUG #4465: GROUP BY is not to SQL standard

From: "Tony Marston" <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Gregory Stark'" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4465: GROUP BY is not to SQL standard
Date: 2008-10-15 09:41:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

You are still missing the point - "functional dependencies" is not a
separate module that can be turned on or off with code, they are inherent in
the database design. According to relational theory any non-key field on a
table is functionally dependent of the key of that table, so if you support
both key and non-key fields on a table then you automatically support
functional dependencies. How can you possibly say otherwise?

Where does it describe in the SQL standards EXACTLY what the term
"functional dependencies" means? Is it the same as in relational theory, or
is it something different?

Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net
http://www.radicore.org

-sql-standard.html

> As soon as I point out an SQL standard that you DON'T follow I get a
> barrage of weasel words and pathetic excuses.

Well then.

--
Gregory Stark