tablespace to benefit from ssd ?

From: Nicolas PARIS <nicolas(dot)paris(at)riseup(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-performance\(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tablespace to benefit from ssd ?
Date: 2020-02-19 04:42:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi

I have both hdd and ssd disk on the postgres server. The cluster is
right now created on the hdd only. I am considering using a tablespace
to put some highly used postgres object on the ssd disk. Of course the
ssd is small compared to the hdd, and I need to choose carefully what
objects are stored on that side.

I am wondering what kind of object (indexes, data) would benefit from
ssd. The database primary/foreign keys are highly used and there is
almost no sequencial scan. However the server has a large amount of ram
memory and I suspect all of those indexes are already cached in ram.

I have read that tablespaces introduce overhead of maintenance and
introduce complication for replication. But on the other hand I have
this ssd disk ready for something.

Any recommandation ?

--
nicolas paris