Re: [GENERAL] Conditioned access to a database

From: tolik(at)icomm(dot)ru (Anatoly K(dot) Lasareff)
To: Paulo da Silva <pdasilva(at)esoterica(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Conditioned access to a database
Date: 1999-02-12 09:15:44
Lists: pgsql-general

PdS> Hello,
PdS> I'm evaluating sql/postgresql for the following purpose:
PdS> I need to have a database with lots of "records".
PdS> I need to allow groups of users to access sets of
PdS> those records grouped by the contents of one field.
PdS> For example, the group A can only access records that
PdS> have the dptm field = "A". Is this possible?

PdS> If the subject is not simple, pls just tell me
PdS> which doc to read.

Suppose you have table:

create table a (
tag int,
info text
);

and you want controll user's depend on the 'tag' field value. I think
you can do following:

create view v1 as select info from a where tag = 1;
create view v2 as select info from a where tag = 2;
create view v3 as select info from a where tag = 3;

revoke all on a from public;

grant select on v1 to user1, user2...;
grant select on v2 to group gr1, ...;
. . .

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff Email: tolik(at)icomm(dot)ru
Senior programmer