Re: Backend working directories and absolute file paths

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend working directories and absolute file paths
Date: 2005-06-30 22:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> > However it might be nice to have dumps go to a configurable place.
>
> You'd have to talk to your kernel provider about that one; we don't have
> any direct control over where or even whether core dumps occur.

Well on most platforms setting the cwd would suffice.

This would also potentially allow you to control profiling output (though I
suspect that gets created at fork time, which would be too late) and other
such things.

For that matter, would depending on the cwd interact well with trusted Pl
languages that can change the cwd? Would they have to guarantee to set it back
when they're done?

> This adds overhead, rather than removing it as I was hoping to do.

That's true. Hm. If the id were short it could go on every page.

--
greg