Re: Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)

From: Itai Zukerman <zukerman(at)math-hat(dot)com>
To: Colleen Williams <colleen(at)digital-arts(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)
Date: 2000-11-22 04:22:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:34:19 +0000, Colleen Williams <colleen(at)digital-arts(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Each time one of us uses the CMS, a new
> persistent connection process owned by postgres is started up. With 3
> people accessing the CMS sporadically, 32 persistent connections are
> in existence and then Linux tells me there are too many connections!
> Sometimes I believe existing connections are reused but not often!

Not sure if this is related, but under the non-threading Apache
server, you get 1 persistent connection per Apache process. I don't
think you can be sure which process gets the page with the connection
request, so if you have a limit of, say, 50 processes, and your server
is hit fairly often, eventually you'll see 50 connections even though
only a few simultaneous accesses to PHP/PostgreSQL are made.

Or, I could be totally off.

-itai