Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification
Date: 2006-09-12 09:07:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that there is some value in putting together a script
>> that tries to identify some of the interesting bits of the toolchain.
>
> Yeah; but why not just a bunch of commands, some of which are expected
> to work on any particular machine, and save the whole output as a single
> string? It's not very clean, but should get the important details. To
> support a "new machine," just add more commands to the script.
>
> A simple version of this, based on your Mark 0, could be:
>
> uname -a
> $CC --version
> $CC -V
> $CC -v
> ls -l /lib/libc.so*
>
> No need to comment/uncomment anything.

I would have said "ldd postgres" would work on any ELF system and show you all
the library so versions it depends on. I guess that only helps if it actually
builds and then fails the regression tests -- not if the build fails.

On Debian it would be useful to do something like below. Though note that a)
this depends on having a postgres package installed which the build machines
may not have and b) it shows the libraries that package depends on not the
versions of the *-dev packages installed.

stark(at)stark:~$ reportbug --offline --template postgresql-8.1 2>/dev/null | sed '1,/^-- System Information/d'
Debian Release: testing/unstable
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17.7-swsusp2
Locale: LANG=en_GB, LC_CTYPE=en_GB (charmap=ISO-8859-1)

Versions of packages postgresql-8.1 depends on:
ii libc6 2.3.6.ds1-4 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libcomerr2 1.39-1 common error description library
ii libkrb53 1.4.3-8 MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
ii libpam0g 0.79-3.1 Pluggable Authentication Modules l
ii libpq4 8.1.4-5 PostgreSQL C client library
ii libssl0.9.8 0.9.8b-2 SSL shared libraries
ii postgresql-client-8.1 8.1.4-4 front-end programs for PostgreSQL
ii postgresql-common 57 manager for PostgreSQL database cl

postgresql-8.1 recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information

--
Gregory Stark