Re: Press Release review comments

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Press Release review comments
Date: 2007-12-14 21:10:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

"Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:

> Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
> releases? I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
> some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
> benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
> the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
> this info, so I was wondering if you had.

It depends a lot on your workload. If you have many parallel connections
keeping the i/o controller busy you might not see much change. Alternately if
you have large updates then the 5-15ms waiting for fsync may make little
impact.

Where it helps a lot is on workloads like simple web applications which flood
the server with tons of short updates on a handful of connections.

--
Gregory Stark