Re: Last gasp

From: Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Last gasp
Date: 2012-04-15 04:52:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> Alex wrote:
>> I didn't follow this whole thread, but have we considered Redmine[1]?
>
> As the resident "Ruby is shiny, let's do everything in Rails on my
> MacBook" guy, I'd like to make a statement against interest: I've
> tried Redmine a few times and it's been painful. Much of the codebase
> is deprecated, it's slow, it has no meaningful search (in 2012?!),
> I've seen wiki edits disappear, and at the moment pulling up its own
> FAQ page at redmine.org times out.

Yay, that's totally FUD to me.

Could you please elaborate a bit on your points?

Deprecated codebase? Let me guess...

It runs on an outdated version of Rails (2.3) but only because Rails is
changing so rapidly, I believe. There is work in progress[1] to move to
the supported branch Rails-3.x.

Slow? Do you have any data to back this point up?

No meaningful search, eh? Works for me.

Disappearing wiki edits? Never seen that, but you can always file a
bug.

> Maybe you've had better luck with it, but whenever I've Googled for
> Redmine questions, the collective Internet has sighed and said "Yeah,
> it was a really good idea, though."

Certainly *you've* had some terrible luck with it. ;-)

--
Regards,
Alex

[1] http://www.redmine.org/issues/4796