Re: problem untarring the latest release

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: infotechsys(dot)wayne(at)www2(dot)us(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem untarring the latest release
Date: 2001-12-12 17:30:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

"infotechsys(dot)wayne(at)verizon(dot)net" <infotechsys(dot)wayne(at)verizon(dot)net> writes:

> Hi, First I know this is probably not the place to ask this question
> but I'm having problen signing-up on the general list. I got my
> confirmation message from the list and I replied to it, but I don't
> see any of the e-mails I sent to the list nor do I see any traffic
> on it. When I untar the latest release I get the following errors-
>
> gzip stdin: unexpected end of file
> tar: unexpected EOF in archive
> tar: error in not recoverable: exiting now

That looks bad.

> the last file that I being untared is
> postgres-7.1.3/src/test/regress/data/street.data

You probably should re-download the file, even if you are only missing
part of the regression test. You might want to take a look at
downloading it with something like wget however (assuming that you are
downloading on some sort of a *nix box). wget will resume partial
downloads when called with the -c flag. It's a life saver over crappy
links.

> Do I have to download it again? The last time took 6+ hours.
> Thanks.
> Wayne

Six hours is a long time. Even over a modem. Perhaps you should try
a different mirror.

Jason