Re: pg_service.conf ?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_service.conf ?
Date: 2006-03-14 12:51:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

In the last exciting episode, pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com (Dave Cramer) wrote:
> David.
>
> OK, so as I understand it the client would be responsible for
> finding, parsing this file and reading the appropriate section.
>
> Assuming the PGSYSCONFDIR environment variable is setup properly and
> the driver has access to the file this would work.
>
> This would be a lot easier if the server managed this file.

Unfortunately, that represents a recursive need. pg_service.conf is
used to determine where the server might be, so you need to read it
before you can know where the server is...

Note that libpq takes the perspective that pg_service.conf should live
in the ../etc directory for the PostgreSQL build. Thus, if psql is
living as /opt/dbs/pgsql825/bin/psql, then this would be in
/opt/dbs/pgsql825/etc/pg_service.conf.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html