Re: Anyone using ReiserFS in production work? (or advise against it?)

From: Adrian Phillips <adrianp(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: "Randall Parker" <randall(at)nls(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anyone using ReiserFS in production work? (or advise against it?)
Date: 2000-07-07 14:10:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Randall> The title says it all: Is this a foolhardy or prudent and
Randall> wise move at this time? Has anyone run Postgres
Randall> databases on ReiserFS volumes under heavy enough load and
Randall> for long enough to get a sense of how stable it is?

Well, not in production yet, but on my machine running a copy of our
message switch on a reiser partition. I currently have a "stuck on
TLB" (if I remember the error correctly) but this is not reiser
specific (and a patch exists which I have to try when I get time).

Randall> Anyone tried pulling the power plug under heavy load to
Randall> find out if ReiserFS is less prone to volume corruption
Randall> than ext2 under these circumstances?

Hmm, pulling plug, no, but the machine has hung up 2 or 3 times while
trying out pre versions of 2.2 Linux and has come up without any
problems.

We have just ordered 2 new servers and I am going to put reiserfs and
RAID through its paces, try pulling a disk while running, pulling the
power, etc. to get a good idea of what can go wrong and whats needed
to fix it.

I suggest you try something similar before going to production.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.