Re: Geographic High-Availability/Replication

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Ron Johnson" <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Geographic High-Availability/Replication
Date: 2007-08-24 15:04:42
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ron Johnson" <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net> writes:

> On 08/24/07 08:21, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>
>> This is commonly known as synchronous replication. As that involves
>> *at-least* one round-trip *before* committing, it's quite expensive. Can
>> you live with a delay of ~150ms before COMMIT confirmation?
>
> Which puts an upper limit on transaction rates at 6TPS. Blech.

Only if your application is single-threaded. By single-threaded I don't refer
to operating system threads but to the architecture. If you're processing a
large batch file handling records one by one and waiting for each commit
before proceeding then it's single threaded. If you have a hundred independent
clients on separate connections doing separate things then each one of them
could get 6tps. Which you have will depend on your application and your needs,
it may not be something you can change.

--
Gregory Stark