Re: I'd like to learn a bit more about how indexes work

From: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: 'Mike Christensen' <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I'd like to learn a bit more about how indexes work
Date: 2012-06-05 22:36:52
Lists: pgsql-general

If you want to discover how B+Trees or B-Trees work, I suggest a web search. A database like PostgreSQL is not going to use an ordinary btree for an index, but they use special trees that have page level structures, such as B-Trees, GiST trees, etc. For PostgreSQL the list includes {IIRC} B-tree, Hash, GiST and GIN, though I am not sure it is current. I believe that there is also a GIS extension to PostgreSQL which probably uses Octrees or Quadtrees, but that is purely a guess.
Place this criteria into your favorite search engine, for instance:
"B-Tree" index

You can qualify it with "PostgreSQL" if you like, but I suspect you just want to know how indexes work in general with different index types.

I suspect that what you really want to eventually understand is:

"How does the optimizer make plans to create efficient queries" which is what is indicated in your questions below.

If that is the case, then I suggest performing search queries with keywords such as:
sql cost based optimizer