Re: Version 8.1

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version 8.1
Date: 2006-02-17 05:56:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

The world rejoiced as joe(dot)saloom(at)ngc(dot)com ("Saloom, Joe \(Space Technology\)") wrote:
> Is this database just standalone or can it be embedded.  All the
> info that you can find concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

If, by "embedded," you mean that the database would run inside some
existing process, the answer is a clear "no, not gonna do that."

If you *truly* need an "embedded" database, you should probably look
into SQLite.

It would be possible to mostly hide a PostgreSQL instance, via:
- creating some local directory inside your application filesystem
where it would hide
- don't turn on TCP/IP; only use Unix Domain Sockets to communicate
with the instance
- make sure the UDS is created somewhere "hidden" in the application
filesystem so it isn't readily visible to users on the system

That would still consist of multiple processes independent of the
application...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html