Interaction between user-defined array types and cluster.c:rebuild_relation()

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Interaction between user-defined array types and cluster.c:rebuild_relation()
Date: 2007-07-18 12:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just an observation, but when we cluster (or any other time we rebuild a heap)
we are creating a useless record type and array type for the temporary heap we
use which is subsequently dropped.

postgres=# cluster;
DEBUG: drop auto-cascades to type pg_temp_16474
DEBUG: drop auto-cascades to type pg_temp_16474[]
DEBUG: drop auto-cascades to type pg_temp_16471
DEBUG: drop auto-cascades to type pg_temp_16471[]

I can't think of any serious negative effects this could have so perhaps it's
not worth worrying about. The worst I can think of is the catalog bloat but
we're already bloating pg_class and pg_attribute anyways so this doesn't seem
like a big deal.

But I thought I would mention it in case anyone else is offended or knows of a
more serious problem it could cause.

--
Gregory Stark