Re: [pgsql-www] commitfest.postgresql.org

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] commitfest.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-07-08 16:59:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com (Robert Haas) writes:
> I suspect both are true, but in the unlikely event that we decide on
> some massive change to the system, we can either run the DBs in
> parallel as Tom suggests, or dump out the older data in Wiki markup
> and post it on there. But I can't imagine what we'd want to do that
> would even make us consider such drastic steps. Your example would
> not be a difficult migration, for instance.

We had an ancient version of Bugzilla in use for quite a while; it was
*SO* vastly different from modern versions that it wasn't remotely
plausible to port the data from the old instance to a new one.

I went and ran "wget" to pull all the contents of the old instance,
turning that into a series of static web pages. No longer updatable,
but certainly browsable.

Once a CommitFest is complete, I could easily see making a summary of
it, as a series of static web pages. No need for a database anymore
altogether ;-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html