Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve the manual's discussion of partitioning.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve the manual's discussion of partitioning.
Date: 2007-12-03 04:33:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I have a fix (1) and two comments (2 and 3) in the documentation.

> 1. "IF (logdate)" should be "IF (NEW.logdate)" in the trigger function.
> INSERT fails without "NEW." before logdate.

How embarrassing ... I tested the other parts of the example, but not that.

> 2. What is the purpose of "2. Next we create one partition ..." ?
> We will recreate tables in "3. We must add non-overlapping table
> constraints...". Is the chapter 2 useless? When users copy-and-paste
> the codes in the topic, they run into errors at the chapter 3.

It's trying to describe things a step at a time. If we collapsed these
two parts together I think it might be too complex. We could change
the wording a bit, or change the step-3 stuff to ALTER TABLE ADD
CONSTRAINT.

> 3. Is it worth reversing the order of checking date in the trigger function?
> I think the newer partions are more often inserted in this case.

That might be good in a real case, but I think it would just complicate
the example ...