Re: COLLATE

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Filip Rembiaâkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COLLATE
Date: 2006-06-05 16:53:57
Lists: pgsql-general

"Filip Rembiaâkowski" <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> let's assume that we keep Unicode text data in the column.
> sometimes we want to sort it according to specific collation order.
> how can we force collation when running a query?
> ideal solution would be having SQL92 standard COLLATE clauses in
> SELECT statements. I heard it's work in progress, what's the status?
>
> are there any "partial" solutions to the problem?

I don't know the status of the full COLLATE support.

But the closest partial solution suggested so far is the pg_xfrm function that
has been implemented and posted at least three times by three different
posters to the postgres mailing lists. In the interest of avoiding a fourth
independent implementation I'll attach the one I use below, it's not big.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_strxfrm.c text/x-csrc 4.4 KB