Re: Export user visible function to make use of convert_to_scalar

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Export user visible function to make use of convert_to_scalar
Date: 2007-08-01 09:11:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

>> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
>> I was planning to use the first and last histogram values for the frame of
>> reference. It could still produce some weird graphs but those cases are
>> precisely the cases where users might want to look at it and go, "hm, that
>> looks weird".
>
> It will produce unusable graphs in precisely the cases where users might
> want to know what's going on...

Well that's possible but I think it's worth experimenting. I'm pretty
confident there would be ways to clean the graphs up so they're sensible and
even if not they would still be a lot more helpful than nothing user-visible.

Would it be reasonable to just make the function extern with a comment that
it's an internal function subject to change in the future. That would at least
let us experiment with an add-on function for 8.3 so we know what we really
need for 8.4. Tools like this would be very version-dependent anyways.

--
Gregory Stark