Re: Books

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Books
Date: 2009-11-19 20:34:20
Lists: pgsql-general

thomas(dot)granvej6(at)gmail(dot)com (Thomas Løcke) writes:
> There's a new series of PostgreSQL books available:
>
> PostgreSQL 8.4 Official Documentation - Volume I
> PostgreSQL 8.4 Official Documentation - Volume II
>
> And so on, up to volume V I think.
>
> Would I be supporting the PostgreSQL project by buying these, or are they just
> a compilation of the online manuals, done by some random author calling him-/
> herself "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group"?  :o)

Lulu.com has some books of this form...

http://www.lulu.com/product/e-book/postgresql-84-official-documentation---volume-i-the-sql-language/5912706#detailsSection

Looking at "publishing information":

ISBN 978-1-59682-163-7
Publisher Fultus Corporation
Language English
Publication Date 8 January 2009
Format Adobe Encrypted PDF

Apparently this is a way of providing "proprietary encrypted
documentation"...

While I'd be fairly prepared to pay something for a printed copy of the
documentation (and would not be loathe to have someone profit from the
service of publishing it for me), I don't think I'll be buying encrypted
PDF files from anyone just now!
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html